OnlineMSW@Fordham Tuition, Billing and Financial Aid FAQs

Tuition and Billing

What does it cost to complete the OnlineMSW@Fordham program?

The cost of each course is determined by the number of registered credit hours. To determine the cost of one course, multiply the current tuition rate by the number of credits required.

For example, for the 2023-2024 year the cost of tuition is $1,045 per credit1:

  • 3 credits (one course) x $1,045 = $3,135
  • 6 credits (two courses) x $1,045 = $6,270

Please note that tuition per credit does not include per semester fees. For a complete outline of program tuition and fees visit our tuition and fees page.

1Tuition rate and fees vary by program.

Are there additional required fees in addition to tuition?

Yes. Fees are determined by program and may include charges for technology support, registration, labs, immersions, placement, student life, and activities. For a detailed account of fees visit our tuition and fees page.

Are students required to accept university health insurance?

Students who do not complete a waiver prior to the deadline will automatically be enrolled in and charged for each semester in which the student is enrolled. Once the waiver is submitted, the charge will be removed from the student account. Students and authorized payers can verify the adjustment by logging in at (“My EBill”). Students are responsible for verifying that their waiver was submitted correctly. After completing the waiver application, students will receive an email confirmation to confirm that the application is approved or denied.

How much is the enrollment deposit?

The non-refundable enrollment deposit is $250. It is applied to your first semester’s tuition.

Can I use financial aid to cover the deposit?

Federal student aid cannot be used to pay the deposit.

Will I be able to view my award package before submitting the deposit?

Once you are admitted and complete the financial aid process, any Federal Direct Loan requested will be posted to your account on the my.fordham portal.

When will I be billed?

Fall invoices are generated in mid-June through early July, spring invoices are generated in December, and summer invoices are generated in early May. Generally, payment is due 2-3 weeks after being billed and will be reflected on the invoice. For help in understanding your invoice, visit Understanding Your Bill. All payments are due prior to the start of classes.

What are the accepted forms of payment?

There are various payment methods accepted for paying your tuition and fees, including:

  • electronic transactions
  • credit cards (application and deposit fees only)
  • check and money orders
  • in person
  • third-party billing
  • wire transfer (both domestic and international
  • monthly payment plan
  • tuition reimbursement
  • tuition stabilization plan

Fordham utilizes electronic billing (E-Bill) to generate invoices. In addition to viewing invoices, a student can authorize a third party (e.g., parent or sponsor) to view the bill. The student is required to provide the email address of the user they wish to authorize.

How does my employer go about paying the school?

Students who receive a voucher from their employer to finance their education must present it to the Office of Student Accounts. The voucher must be received by the initial bill’s due date for the semester. If the voucher is received past the due date, you will be responsible for any late fees incurred. The voucher must include the student’s name, Fordham Identification Number (FIDN), semester, courses, and amount to be paid. The voucher must also include the employer’s company name, billing address, and contact information. After receiving your voucher, the student accounts office will send an invoice to your employer. The employer should remit payment directly to the University. View Fordham’s third-party billing information.

Does Fordham offer a payment plan for the online program?

The University offers a monthly payment plan through Tuition Management Systems (TMS). Students who are receiving financial aid also may participate in this plan. The plan is administered on either an academic year-based schedule with 10-12 monthly payments, or on a semester basis with five monthly payments. The enrollment fee ranges from $75 – $110. You may enroll directly with TMS by calling 1-800-722-4867. You may also log in to the Fordham website to enroll in a payment plan.

What are the consequences if my tuition bill is not paid when classes begin?

You may start classes but must have the bill completely satisfied before you are able to register for the next term; you will be held responsible for any unpaid tuition late fees (assessed monthly) until the bill is satisfied.

What is the refund process for eligible students?

A credit balance occurs whenever a student has funds credited to their account which exceed the total amount of a student’s direct charges. Credit balances are refunded directly to the student as soon as possible but no later than 14 days after the first day of classes or the date the funds were applied to a student’s account (whichever comes last). Regulations stipulate that a student’s unpaid charges on their bill must be satisfied before a refund can be processed.

Federal Regulations also require that the University document that a student began attending classes to be eligible for a credit balance refund. Therefore, the Office of Student Accounts begins processing refunds once the add/drop period has passed.

If eligible for a refund, you may receive funds via direct deposit at no cost; or have your refund sent via check. Further detail is available on the Refunding of Credit Balances page.

Who can I contact at Fordham for billing questions?

For billing questions, email the Office of Student Accounts at or call 718-817-4900.

Fordham Student Portal/Account Set Up

What is the Fordham student portal? is Fordham’s gateway to online services for students, faculty, staff, and alumni, including a calendar, online directory, announcements, and an email interface for accessing your Fordham email, financial aid, bill payment, and academic course information.

When will I get access to my Fordham user account?

You will receive access to MyFordham upon admission and receipt of your enrollment deposit.

How do I set up my Fordham ID and password?

To access the features listed above, you MUST claim your MyFordham account. To do so, please follow the instructions below.

  1. Go to
  2. Click on “First Time Users”
  3. Proceed through the account claim process to retrieve your AccessIT ID.

The retrieval process involves answering several security questions, one of which involves the last five digits of your Social Security Number, or in the case of international students, the last five digits of your Fordham Identification Number (FIDN).

Once you have claimed your ID you can access the system. If you have issues claiming your ID or accessing call the University Help Desk at 718-817-3999.

How do I set up my Fordham email address?

All students at Fordham University are automatically given a email account which is powered by Google. You should be aware that the University administration will send official messages only to your Fordham address. Please check this account regularly.

For further information about your Fordham email, including how to access it via mobile device, see the Fordham IT Help page.

Financial Aid at Fordham

Do I need to include my social security number (SSN) in my application for admission to be eligible for aid?

Yes, your SSN must be included in your application so your FAFSA can be accessed by Fordham. If you submit your application without your SSN, please submit a copy of your Social Security card at and email the Office of Student Financial Services to inform them you have filed a FAFSA.

When should I apply for financial aid?

You should apply for financial aid while applying for admission to the program. If you wish to borrow a Federal Direct Unsubsidized or Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) should be completed along with your loan request form at least two to four weeks prior to requiring your loan funding. You will need your Fordham IT ID credentials to submit an online loan request.

Complete details on the financial aid application process for graduate students at Fordham are available in the Financial Aid Guide and Federal Direct Loan Request Form for Graduate and Professional Schools.

Are there any school-specific supplemental financial aid forms I must complete?

If you would like to borrow a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, you must complete the online Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan Request Form. The maximum annual Direct Unsubsidized Loan eligibility is $20,500. If you need to borrow more than your maximum eligibility in the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, consider the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. This form is available once you have been admitted and claim your Fordham ID IT credentials.

You will also need to complete Entrance Counseling and electronically sign the Loan Agreement Master Promissory Note (MPN) for your loans to disburse. Complete Loan Counseling on the Federal Student Aid website.

What is the minimum number of credits required to receive federal student aid?

You must be registered for 6 or more credit hours per term (fall, spring, and summer) to be eligible for federal student aid.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

What is the FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application the Department of Education uses to determine if you are eligible to receive federal student aid.

Where can I find the FAFSA?

The FAFSA is available online by visiting the federal student aid website. The FAFSA is a free application; you will not be asked to pay.

What is the Fordham FAFSA school code?

The Fordham University FAFSA school code is 002722.

Do I need my parents’ tax information to complete the FAFSA if I live on my own?

If you are applying for graduate school, you are considered an independent student and do not need your parents’ information to complete the FAFSA.

What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a measurement of your ability to contribute toward your educational costs. As a graduate/professional student your EFC is not a factor in your eligibility for federal student loans.

When should I complete the FAFSA?

The FAFSA is available every Oct. 1 for the upcoming academic year. New students planning to use federal student aid should complete a FAFSA while applying for admission. The FAFSA must be completed each academic year to remain eligible for federal student aid.

Please reference the table below to determine which FAFSA to complete based on your desired start date:

Graduate School of Social Work

StartTermFAFSA Year
January 2024
Spring 2024
May 2024
Summer 2024
September 2024
Fall 2024
January 2025
Spring 2025
May 2025
Summer 2025
September 2025
Fall 2025
January 2026
Spring 2026
May 2026
Summer 2026
September 2026
Fall 2026
January 2027
Spring 2027
May 2027
Summer 2027

The summer term is considered a “trailer” to the academic year. For example, the summer 2021 term is a part of the 2020-21 academic year. You must have a valid 2020-21 FAFSA to receive federal loans in the summer 2021 term. The 2020-21 FAFSA is only available until June 30th, 2021. There are no exceptions to this federal guideline.

What constitutes an academic year for federal student aid?

An academic year is the period of time for which financial aid is used to fund your education. Generally, this is the 12-month period that begins on July 1 and ends on June 30 of the following year.

What federal student aid is available to graduate students?

Graduate students are eligible to apply for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. Learn more about the types of federal student aid.

To be eligible for any Federal Direct Loan, you must be:

  • matriculating in a degree-granting program
  • enrolled at least half-time as determined by your academic department
  • making satisfactory academic progress

Will I need to fill out the FAFSA each year?

Yes, you will need to complete the FAFSA for each academic year in which you plan on applying for federal student aid.

Why am I not eligible for the Pell Grant or Federal Subsidized Loan?

The Department of Education awards Federal Pell Grants and Subsidized loans to eligible undergraduate students who have not yet completed their bachelor’s degrees and who demonstrate financial need. The Department of Education does not evaluate need nor income for loans at the graduate or professional level. Therefore, graduate students are not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant nor the Direct Subsidized Loan.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

What criteria is used to determine eligibility for federal student aid?

The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is not based on income. To apply for federal student aid, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • Have a valid Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if you are male (must register between the ages of 18 and 25)
  • Be enrolled at least half time or accepted for enrollment in an eligible degree program2
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP)3 as defined by each of the graduate schools
  • Not currently be in default on previous student loans borrowed through FSA
  • Not have exceeded the maximum aggregate loan limit

2 If your program involves degree requirements with a credit equivalency that will raise your enrollment to at least half time (e.g., dissertation or comprehensive examination preparation), you can file an enrollment certification form with your school or department to become eligible. This certification must be processed by Academic Records before your loan proceeds can be disbursed.

3 As defined by each of the graduate schools.

Upon University request, you must also provide acceptable documentation to clarify any existing data conflicts from your FAFSA. Learn more about federal student aid eligibility criteria on the Federal Student Aid website.

What is the aggregate loan limit?

The aggregate loan limit is the total amount that you may borrow in federal student loans for undergraduate and graduate study. In addition to borrowing limitations based on the cost of attendance for the program, students are also limited in terms of lifetime borrowing. The maximum aggregate loan limit for federal loans is $138,500 and does not include PLUS loans or private loans.

If the total loan amount you receive throughout the course of your education reaches the aggregate loan limit, you are not eligible to receive additional loans. However, if you repay some of your loans to bring your outstanding loan debt below the aggregate loan limit, you could then borrow again, up to the amount of your remaining eligibility under the aggregate loan limit. You can learn more about graduate annual loan limits on the Federal Student Aid website.

How do I find out if I am near my aggregate loan limit or have defaulted on a federal student loan?

Login to the Federal Student Aid homepage to view your federal student loan borrowing history and loan servicer details. Please note that private education loans are not listed on this site. Students in default are not eligible for additional federal loans. Contact your lender for default resolution options.

What is the difference between a Direct Unsubsidized Loan and a Direct Subsidized Loan?

Direct Subsidized Loans are available to undergraduate students with financial need. The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on subsidized loans while you are enrolled in the undergraduate program. The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is available to undergraduate and graduate students with no requirement to demonstrate financial need. The unsubsidized loan begins accruing interest as soon as funds are disbursed. Learn more about the difference between unsubsidized and subsidized loans.

How much am I eligible for with the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

Most graduate level students are potentially eligible to receive up to $20,500 per academic year from a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Learn more about graduate annual loan limits.

How do I apply for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

To apply for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan, you must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What is the current Direct Unsubsidized Loan interest rate?

The Direct Unsubsidized Loan interest rate is determined on an annual basis. Learn more about interest rates on the Federal Student Aid website.

Are there any additional loan fees for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

There is a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. Information on unsubsidized loan origination fees can be found on the Interest Rates and Fees page of the Federal Student Aid website.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

What is the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is a federal loan that graduate or professional students can use to help pay education expenses in addition to the Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Learn about Direct PLUS Loans.

Do Direct PLUS Loans affect my aggregate loan limit?

Only Direct Subsidized/Direct Unsubsidized Loans (formerly referred to as Stafford loans) and federal loans made through the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program count toward your aggregate loan limit.

What are the eligibility criteria to apply for or receive the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

A credit check will be conducted when applying for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. In addition to the federal student aid eligibility criteria listed above, applicants cannot have an adverse credit history. A list of what constitutes adverse credit history can be found on the Federal Student Aid website.

How much can I borrow from the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

If approved for the Grad PLUS Loan, you can borrow up to the cost of attendance as determined by Fordham.

When can I apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

You can apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan within 180 days of the start of your program, or once you are enrolled.

How do I apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

You must first secure a Grad PLUS credit decision. To do so, log in to the federal student aid website and select the “Request PLUS Loan” link. Then, select “Graduate PLUS” as your loan type and complete credit check. When you receive credit approval, complete an Entrance Counseling Session and Master Promissory Note (MPN) on the federal student aid website if you have not previously done so. Finally, complete your Fordham Grad PLUS request form using your Fordham ID IT.

What are my options if I’m denied the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

If you are denied the Graduate PLUS loan, you may reapply with an endorser or follow instructions on the Department of Education’s website to appeal the denial.

What is the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan current interest rate?

The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan interest rate is determined at the beginning of each academic year, and is available on the Federal Student Aid website’s Interest Rates and Fees page.

Are there any additional loan fees for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan?

There is a loan origination fee that is a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan origination fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement you receive. Information on Direct Graduate PLUS Loan origination fees can be found on the Interest Rates and Fees page of the Federal Student Aid website.

Private Education Loans

Can I borrow a Private Education Loan to pay all or a portion of my balance?

Yes. ELM Select is a useful research tool to help compare lenders and make an informed decision. The lenders listed on ELM Select have worked with Fordham in the past and are offered for your convenience. You are not limited to these lenders and you may choose any lender you wish.

When will I receive my financial aid award?

Once you are admitted and complete the financial aid process, any Federal Direct Loan requested will be posted to your account on the my.fordham portal. You will receive an email notification once funds are available.

How will I receive my financial aid award letter?

You will be notified by email once your financial aid offer is posted to your account on the my.fordham portal.

How do I accept my student loans?

If you wish to borrow, we ask that you make your loan request online. Your loan(s) will be posted as “accepted.”

Am I required to accept the full amount that I am offered on my award letter?

If you would like to decrease your unsubsidized loan or have loan proceeds returned, email the financial aid office at Your email should come from your Fordham email address and must include your Fordham ID and the amount of funding you would like returned.

Does my Direct Loan eligibility cover the entire cost of the program?

Students are eligible for up to $20,500 per year (fall/spring/summer) in Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans. You regain eligibility for another $20,500 each fall. If you wish to borrow more, we encourage you to consider the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. If approved, you can borrow up to your full cost of attendance in a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan.

When will loans disburse to my student account?

If you are attending the fall and spring terms, there are two disbursements. Half of your loan will disburse at the beginning of the fall term and the other half at the beginning of the spring term. You may also choose to have your loan cover the fall, spring and summer terms via three disbursements, each at the beginning of each term.

If you are attending only one term, there will be one disbursement at the beginning of the term and your total loan amount will be sent to Fordham in one payment. Your loan period should cover all the terms you plan to attend.

Student loans must be requested for each academic year you wish to borrow.

Can I use loans to cover additional expenses (e.g., housing, books, supplies)?

The total cost of attendance (COA) for the academic year includes tuition, fees, and living expenses. If you have eligibility for additional loan funds based on your COA, you are able to use those resources to cover expenses such as books, supplies, and other miscellaneous expenses.

Who can I contact at Fordham for financial aid questions?

For tuition and financial aid questions, email Student Financial Services at or call 718-817-3800.

Loan Deferment and Repayment

Do I have to repay my student loans while I’m in school?

You can defer payment on your federal student loans if you are enrolled at least half-time. You should be aware that although you can defer payments while you are in school, interest will still accrue on your loan(s).

Your unsubsidized loan will go into repayment six months after you graduate, fall below half-time status, take a leave of absence, or withdraw from the program. Most private loans also have deferred payment options while you are in school; however, you will need to check with your loan servicer.

During this six-month grace period, you will receive repayment information from your loan servicer and be notified of your first payment due date. Payments are usually due monthly. While you are not required to pay while in school, there is no penalty if you choose to prepay. Learn more about repayment timelines.

What are the repayment plan options and how do I select one?

The Department of Education (DOE) offers multiple options for repayment. You may visit the DOE website for more information on loan repayment plans.

Is there a repayment calculator or estimator that I can use?

Yes, visit the DOE website for repayment calculators.

Can I consolidate my graduate loans and my undergraduate loans?

A Direct Consolidation Loan allows you to combine multiple federal education loans into one loan including both graduate and undergraduate loans. The result is a single monthly payment instead of multiple payments. Learn more about loan consolidation.

Are there any loan forgiveness options available?

Please review the Department of Education website for more information on federal loan forgiveness programs.

Military Education Benefits

How do I apply for military education benefits?

To begin the process of applying for eligible military education benefits, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website. Questions regarding eligibility should be directed to the VA at 888-442-4551.

What documents are required to process military education benefits?

Visit to complete the Education Benefits Application, which generates a request for the Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Once approved for benefits, the VA will mail the COE to you within 6-8 weeks from submitting the application.

What is the difference between active and non-active duty?

Active Duty is in the military full time and is not currently eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP). Non-Active Duty is someone who is not currently serving or no longer serving in any capacity of U.S. military service and is YRP eligible at 100 percent COE.

What are the eligibility factors for the Post 9/11 GI bill?

You are potentially eligible if you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept.10, 2001 and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged veteran or discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. Learn more about the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

What is the current tuition and fee payment rate, and Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA)?

The tuition and fee payment rate, as well as MHA, are determined at the beginning of each military academic year on Aug. 1. The current rate table is located on the Education and Training page of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)?

The Yellow Ribbon Program allows degree-granting colleges and universities in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the annual maximum cap per military academic year. Veterans who are utilizing Post-9/11 GI Benefits and who are entitled to 100 percent of their benefit may be eligible. There are a limited number of Yellow Ribbon awards available.

Fordham has been committed to assisting veterans achieve their higher education goals as an approved Yellow Ribbon Program University. This program guarantees that ALL tuition and fees are fully covered for admitted veterans who are classified in the VA’s maximum benefit category of eligibility.

Who can I contact at Fordham for questions about military education benefits?

Visit Fordham Veterans Association for more information, including the Veteran’s Checklist and FAQs. You may also contact Anne Treantafeles, the veteran’s entry academic adviser, at 212-636-6602 or

Tax Benefits for Education

How do I qualify for a tuition tax credit?

See IRS Publication 970 Tax Benefits for Higher Education for details on education tax benefits. Fordham is unable to provide tax advice. We urge you to contact your tax advisor, call the IRS at 800-829-1040, or visit the IRS website if you have any questions regarding the HOPE or Lifetime Learning Tax Credits.

What is the 1098-T Form?

This informational form filed with the Internal Revenue Service reports the amounts billed for qualified tuition, scholarships and grants, and related expenses for students enrolled in Fordham courses for which they receive academic credit. The primary purpose of the Form 1098-T is to inform students that this required information was provided to the IRS, as well as help evaluate whether a student is eligible for an educational tax credit.

Exceptions: Please note Fordham University is not required to provide 1098-T’s to non-matriculated or non-resident alien students. If a student is in one of these two categories Fordham University can generate a 1098-T by student request. Please email to request a 1098-T to be generated for you if you fall into one of the two categories listed.

How do I obtain my 1098-T Form?

The 1098-T forms for Fordham University are administered by Educational Computer Systems, Inc (ECSI). ECSI mails and electronically sends your 1098-T.

By Jan. 31 all eligible students should receive their 1098-T tax statement.

How do I retrieve an electronic copy of my 1098-T?

In order to retrieve your 1098-T electronically you will need to log in at, then:

  • Select “My E-Bill Suite.”
  • In the “Statements” section, select “View” where you see your 1098-T
  • Select the icon under “Action,” then select “View.”
  • You will be redirected to the ECSI website, where you can select which tax year you wish to view.

You can also view your 1098-T on the ECSI website by providing your full name, Social Security Number, and ZIP code appearing on your 1098-T.