Financial Aid Checklist

Loans disburse to your account approximately three business days before the start of each term. If you are applying for a loan during the academic year, you should make sure your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and loan request are submitted at least 2 – 3 weeks before you need funds.

If everything is in place for your loan to disburse before the term start, you will see it as an estimated credit on your bill.

We encourage reviewing the Graduate Financial Aid website for in-depth information about availability of aid, eligibility requirements, and the application process.

U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for federal financial aid. Follow these steps to apply:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using Fordham’s school code: 002722. Sign your FAFSA application electronically using your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. The Department of Education has replaced the federal PIN with the FSA ID. If you do not have an FSA ID, you will be asked to create one when logging in. 
  • Claim your Fordham IT ID. This will give you access to the financial aid channel of our portal. It will also allow you to submit a Federal Direct Loan request. 
  • Complete the Direct Loan Request Form. This form can be completed electronically in your student portal once you are admitted.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

  • If you are interested in applying for additional funding, you can apply for the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan by completing an online application at . Although you can apply for the Graduate PLUS Loan within six months of the start of your program, we recommend you wait until you have been admitted and received your financial aid award letter before you apply for the Graduate PLUS Loan.
  • A credit check will be conducted as part of the application process. You may review your credit report for potential problems at one of these credit bureaus: ExperianEquifax or TransUnion
  • You also need to complete a Graduate PLUS request form. This form can be completed electronically in your student portal once you are admitted.

Loan Agreement (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling

  • Students using federal student loans must complete Entrance Counseling and a Loan Agreement (MPN) at You will need your FSA ID to complete these requirements.

Other Important Information

  • If you are a new student, you must provide an official copy of your undergraduate transcript. This is required to be eligible for aid/loans.
  • Keep your address and contact information updated on the student portal and with your lenders (for loan deferment purposes).
  • Be sure that your Social Security number is on file with the University. This is required to provide financial aid awards. 
  • Read more about financial aid on Fordham University’s Financial Aid website.
  • For additional information on federal student aid programs, visit

Take the Next Step

Request information below to learn how OnlineMSW@Fordham prepares you with the forward-facing skills you need to become a social work leader in the 21st century.

Request Information